Re: Conversion of video formats

Subject: Re: Conversion of video formats
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:15:29 -0700

Lou Quillio wrote:

Ahh, but I'm a true disbeliever, you see. PDF's not an open format. AutoCAD? Three words: PNG. Editable? Three more words: SVG. Formatted text? OO.o

Just to get everybody tangled in semantics that only you and I might care about: Acrobat is, in fact, an open standard. However, the
Acrobat suite and Adobe reader are not free or open source software (FOSS).

However, you don't need the suite or reader to produce or read Acrobat
file. For about a year now, I've used a macro in OpenOffice.org (OOo) to produce PDFs complete with links and bookmarks, and xpdf or
GNOME GhostView (ggv) to read them. And all these programs, needless to
say, are FOSS.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield