RE: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: RE: What notebook did you buy?
From: "Spitzer, Judd L" <judd -dot- l -dot- spitzer -at- lmco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:37:01 -0400

Just to clarify my comments on why I chose to talk about the operating
systems rather than the hardware itself is because Microsoft Windows
does not run Native out of the box on an Apple PowerBook, and MacOS X
(10.4 soon to be released) will not run Native out of the box on an
Intel/AMD processor based machine. You certainly have your choices of
emulators out there, such as VirtualPC which is owned and maintained by
Microsoft, providing Windows on the Mac. Also there is a PowerPC
Emulator for Windows, http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html that runs
Mac OS X.
Of course there are many flavors of Unix/Linux that are available for
many different hardware configurations Intel or PPC.

So, basically, my premise was that you should first choose your OS, then
your hardware.
>From there look at price, software needs, upgrade paths, features, and
of course product quality.
I don't think that we will resolve on this list what the "best" computer
is or what the "best" operating system is. In the end it is our ability
to share our experiences with each other that allows us to consider the
options and make informed decisions.

Cheers,
Judd Spitzer
Cape Canaveral, FL

>Some comments on these paragraphs:
>
>- There isn't really a Microsoft Platform, nor a Linux Platform.
>"Platform" in this sense refers to hardware. Microsoft and Linux are
>both pieces of software. Both run on what might be called the Intel
>Platform. For that matter, you can run Linux on the Mac platform, too.
>
>- You can run Microsoft/Linux and OSX/Linux combinations by using a
boot
>loader to select your operating system at boot time. You could even use

>a bootloader for OSX/Linux, and run a Windows emulator, if the machine
>has the memory.
>
>It's worth being pedantic on these points, I think, because that way
you
>don't get trapped into false oppositions. You can have a lot more
>flexibility than most people think.
>
>--
>Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
>http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield