Re: Period/comma then close quote, or vice versa?

Subject: Re: Period/comma then close quote, or vice versa?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:18:23 -0400

True about Chicago, but the point is have a plan. Traditionally, when
it's been my jjob to decide, I've specified what published books are
the style guide and had my own document listing exceptions. Typically,
Chicago 14 and the MMoSfTP have been the books and then I've taken
exception to things. I mean, you could write your own all-inclusive
tome, but my approach seems both easier and more universal.

On Apr 8, 2005 9:39 AM, Downing, David <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com> wrote:

> Seems to me that the real bottom line in technical writing is -- do it
> in whatever way will make the meaning clearest. My impression is that
> the Chicago manual of style was originally intended to apply to more
> academic/literary writing, so that its rules won't always work for
> technical writing.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com