Re: FM + WWP SE + RH -> HTML -- Boston sig meeting, anyone going?

Subject: Re: FM + WWP SE + RH -> HTML -- Boston sig meeting, anyone going?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 00:11:52 -0400

The meeting ended up being an enjoyable informal chat. There were a
couple of folks who were anti-RH, a couple anti-Word (I mean anti- in
the almost vehement way), and a couple with some difficult experiences
with WWP that I was at a loss to explain, though I bet I could have
sorted it out with the files. There was one person who is currently
using and liking RHFM, but who is scouting for ideas on an eventual
replacement.

The main reason for using this workflow is a reliance on the stability
of FM for producing the primary output, PDF, a strong familiarity and
preference for RoboHelp, coupled with the satisfactory experience from
exporting FM to HTML using WWP SE's DHTML template.

I sized up the workflow this way: the project was smallish, the author
was using a RoboHelp template for its skins and importing HTML created
by an ad-hoc template in WWP SE. The author was willing to live with
rebuilding the TOC and IX in RH as needed for additional content in
order to get the seemingly easier ability to customize the help output
using skins. I have to admit, not knowing much about skins, that the
skin concept is an easier way to customize the WebHelp interface than
Q provides for the WebWorks Help one, though I am not convinced it's
worth sacrificing efficiency ... that decision is best left to the
team involved.

On Apr 7, 2005 3:16 PM, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> > Just curious if anyone from here is going to the STC-Boston online sig
> > meeting tonight, about using FM + WWP (SE presumably) + RoboHelp =
> > online help?
>
> If that's the subject then definitely not. That type of workflow is a
> major waste of time. Just get WWP Pro and be done with it.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com