Re: OT Criticizing writers (was Technical Writing - What's the catch?)

Subject: Re: OT Criticizing writers (was Technical Writing - What's the catch?)
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:30:03 -0500

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:31:33 -0800, Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
<Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com> wrote:

> > us, is that we seem easily and often very critical of other technical
> > writers in a way that seems inherent or ingrained. Inevitable
> prickliness
> > toward our own kind?
>
> Mom always said that whenever you talk about someone else, you're really
> talking about what you don't like about yourself and letting the whole
> world know they shouldn't like you either. Maybe we're all totally
> insecure?

That's the truth if ever I've heard it. It's much easier and less
challenging to point out the flaws in others' work than it is to find
them in your own.

I found I could only vault the hurdle into becoming a true
professional writer (Technical, business, and otherwise) when I
realized that my work was inevitably going to need editing, revising,
or review at some point. The great writers aren't the ones who don't
make mistakes...they're the ones who make mistakes, learn from them,
and incorporate that learning into doing better work the next time.

I joined this list not to shoot my mouth off, but to observe and learn
from the experts in the field. I candidly admit that there's still a
great deal I don't know about being a tech comm, and I'm eager to
learn and understand as I go. Besides, this is cheaper than joining
the STC by a large margin. :)

Sorry to sound all treacly, but I wanted to share a young'un's fairly
positive viewpoint. :)

Martin

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com