RE: OT Criticizing writers (was Technical Writing - What's the catch?)

Subject: RE: OT Criticizing writers (was Technical Writing - What's the catch?)
From: Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:31:33 -0800

> us, is that we seem easily and often very critical of other technical
> writers in a way that seems inherent or ingrained. Inevitable
prickliness
> toward our own kind?

Mom always said that whenever you talk about someone else, you're really
talking about what you don't like about yourself and letting the whole
world know they shouldn't like you either. Maybe we're all totally
insecure?

It is also easier to see what's wrong with someone else's writing than
your own. And tech writing is 45% project management, 45% research and
10% writing (in my humble opinion). So people who are really good at the
first two are usually doing something else with their careers.

> Seems like most technical writers are *the good writers* who have a
handful
> of horror stories about bad technical writers. Either we took over for
'em
> or worked with 'em or reported to 'em. (And, I can be as guilty as any
other
> writer of this behavior, I know.) I can only recall a few technical
writers
> that I've known who haven't gone after another writer with a flame gun
at
> least once or twice.

I've been writing for 10 years. I've seen a handful of writers to which I
aspire to do stuff as nice they do. Luckily they were totally cool and
shared know how.

Trying to teach people who want to be tech writers is a pain because they
are super-sensitive "cat people" who can't take criticism and cringe at
confrontation. Thus I either get to argue indefinitely, perpetuate crappy
writing or kick them out... It's like kicking puppies. Woof!

> Is this true of other professions, does anyone know?

Yeah, my cooking classes are emotionally damaging. Love on me... LOL.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com