Capitalizing the 2nd letter of a word?

Subject: Capitalizing the 2nd letter of a word?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:41:56 -0500

John Wilcox wondered: <<I sent this letter to Adobe, and I encourage others to join the protest.>>

I assume you'll be following up with strongly worded letters to Apple's iBook, iPod, and iTunes divisions too? <g>

<<Adobe's use of eSeminar, eBook, ePublishing, and other words in which the 2nd letter is capitalized when the word begins with an e, is not appreciated by a large contingent of your customers.>>

You're missing a large part of the point here: It's generally not possible to trademark a common word, but as soon as you change the spelling in some clear and distinctive way, the word is now eligible to become a trademark. In the case of e-mail, the word has long since entered widespread use, so it's too late to trademark it.

I certainly agree with you that this practice is annoying, but there's not a lot any of us can do about it. The powers that control the universe (aka "Marketing") don't pay any attention to us, and only the minority of the world who have taken up the profession of words will either notice or care enough to complain.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com