RE: Job Offer

Subject: RE: Job Offer
From: "Barb Einarsen" <barb -dot- einarsen -at- navtelcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:36:14 -0500

Jennifer Fuller was saying:
I've got family and friends who have lived and worked in the Mid
East
(Oman, UAE, Saudi), and holding a passport is a common practice
for
employers of non-national contractors.

Here's the drill: you arrive for work and surrender your
passport to
the employer. If it is a large company, this would be HR, and
it is
kept with your personnel file. If it is a small company, it is
kept
with your boss. Should you need to leave the country for
vacation or
personal reasons, you must ask them for it before you get a
travel visa.
If they don't give you the passport, then you don't travel. For

professionals (engineers, doctors), it is usually
straightforward to
get the passport back for travel.

All I can say is: "EEK!" This makes me WAY LESS LIKELY (not that I was
about to surrender my personal papers anyway) to pursue a position that
requests a passport or anything else.

Seriously, why would any sane person do this? Jennifer, your family and
friends were OK with this? All I can say is not for $1 million an hour!

Barb

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com