Re: Is tech writing a profession? Are we professionals?

Subject: Re: Is tech writing a profession? Are we professionals?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:28:52 -0800

I've worked as a technical writer/manager for four companies in the past
13 years (made it to manager in all four), and in each of them the position
of technical writer was listed as technical staff and paralleled the
engineering
positions, that is each level of writer from most junior to most senior was
in the same class and salary range as an engineer. BTW, this same question
frequently pops up in engineering discussions, since in the US you don't
have
to have a PE license to be employed as an engineer.

Gene Kim-Eng