Re: Is tech writing a profession? Are we professionals?

Subject: Re: Is tech writing a profession? Are we professionals?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:52:51 -0500

Philip,

I have a feeling that the answer to this question, in this specific
case, turns on some legal terms of art; that is to say, how are
"professionals" vs. "craftsmen/journeymen" legally defined by the
State of Hawaii (or some controlling legal authority.)

My gut tells me that they are probably relying on some definition of
"professional" that requires licensure by an official body - as for
architects, attorneys, physicians, etc. That would exclude many, many
occupations that we commonly think of as "professional" jobs, and has
nothing to do with the concept of "professionalism" in general.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com