Re: Transitioning user expectations from feature to task-based information?

Subject: Re: Transitioning user expectations from feature to task-based information?
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:52:48 -0500

> Rather than two TOCs, wouldn't it make more sense to provide a good index? I'm a huge champion of indexing because, if it's done well, a user can find just about anything.

Ah, so I'm not alone. ;-) I just made that suggestion in the other
same-named thread.

Can I ask a favor here? Can we try to avoid re-naming the subject of a
thread just to add punctuation or the like? Sorry to pick on you
Geoff, but you seem to do it more than others...

It makes it really difficult to follow a conversation in mail readers
such as Gmail or in newsgroup reader environments... Sorted by thread,
you lose the continuity of the replies when people are suddenly
replying in real time to two similarly-named threads.

So my favor to ask: can we avoid renaming subject lines unless the
topic of the subject changes?

Many humble thanks for your most kind and generous consideration.

...or something like that. ;-)

- Bill

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com