Re: Moving from IBM to Mac

Subject: Re: Moving from IBM to Mac
From: Justin Ressler <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:01:19 -0700

I grew up using Windows, or at least as early as Windows 3.1. I have attempted to switch some systems to Linux and found it difficult because (thankfully) there are some fundamental design differences. Permissions are a wonderful thing, but if you are used to working as a Windows Administrator or Power User, get ready for a fundamental shift in thought.

I like Linux, I think it is great, but I am accustomed to Windows, and the way it is designed. Expect a learning curve with the OS and its environment. On the other hand, my wife's IBook with OSX acts just as I expect it to, and is pretty intuitive.

Imagine someone rearranged your kitchen and you have to make dinner, you could do it, but not as quickly. All the elements are still there, but you might not be able to find them as quickly. That's the learning curve I'm talking about.

A couple of years from now, I think your company will look back and say "Glad we switched."

justin

1) Does anyone have experience moving from a Windows platform to a Unix platform? If so, what types of issues did the writing department face?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com