Moving from IBM to Mac

Subject: Moving from IBM to Mac
From: "Tammy Lloyd" <tlloyd -at- xaware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:43:01 -0700

Hi,

The company I'm currently with is looking at moving from an IBM Windows platform to a Macintosh Unix platform, which they believe will be a more stable environment in which to develop our software.

Along with this, our company is on the verge of growing in leaps and bounds, including the writing department, which consists of just two writers right now. In addition to preparing for our department's growth, we are also working with a consultant to purchase WebWorks to use with FrameMaker 7.0 in order to produce JavaHelp.

All of our documentation is stored on a network server in .fm and .book files. Our JavaHelp content is stored in HTML and XML files and is managed, at the moment, through an obsolete application. We're just starting to pull this content out of the old Javahelp application and into .fm and .book files. Also, we rely heavily upon single-sourced .fm files between multiple books and our JavaHelp content.

This is what we'd like to know:

1) Does anyone have experience moving from a Windows platform to a Unix platform? If so, what types of issues did the writing department face?

2) Can anyone provide information about the issues we might encounter moving to a new platform when all of our content will be stored in FrameMaker files?

Thank you.

Tammy

Tammy Lloyd, Technical Writer
XAware, Inc.