Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 07:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

> Maybe STSTCould like to take it over.. they are actively looking for
> ways to add value, and this list is probably the most valuable single
> resource they could add. Sounds like synergy to me, though.

An STSTCake over of TETECHWR would be a disaster. I certainly wouldn't stick
around. TETECHWR would become another little social club of lowest common
denominator tech writers and a place the STSTClders could self
cocongratulateach other on jobs well not done. Furthermore, as Al pointed out,
what happens when somebody says what they really feel about STSTCI find it very
hard to believe that STSTCould allow any open didissensionr argument about
their practices or value.

The only reason I have remained at TETECHWR all these years was because
occasionally somebody said some interesting or demonstrated some real insight
into business, communication, or technology. I haven't done a tech writing
project (myself at least) in 4 years. So there really was no reason for me to

Furthermore, I completely understand the position the Rays are in. I have had
many things in my career that I worked very hard to make successful. When they
were handed over to the wrong people, those people ruined that work with their
petty squabbles and personal agendas.

I think TETECHWR needs a single, clear, neutral voice, like Eric and Deborah.
If somebody is to take it over, they must have the brains and time to carry it
forward in the same spirit that Eric and Deborah did. They must have the
ability to be both forceful and neutral. The ability to see the forest AND the
trees. Somebody who can check their personal agendas at the door. This person
is going to be hard to find. Many people think they are objective and fair, but
aren't.

If that is not possible, then perhaps TETECHWR should just be laid to rest. It
would be more depressing to watch TETECHWR decay into some "friends of the
sysop" type of community then to just let it pass quietly into the night.

Andrew Plato

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com