Re: School vs experience...

Subject: Re: School vs experience...
From: Amy Smith/Westford/IBM <amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:29:57 -0400

Bonnie G sez:

> More than 99% of the people in the master's program at Northeastern that
> I was in were working in the field. I was the only one who was not!

Actually, I found the newbie percentage to be higher, but I think I
entered the program a couple of years earlier than Bonnie. In many of my
classes, I was one of the few grizzled veterans. Many of my classmates
were fresh young things right out of school, with little or no work
experience. It was vastly amusing to regale them with tales of the real
world, to which they reacted as though I had lobsters coming out of my
ears. This was because some of the faculty, who had more academic than
industry experience, presented them with the fairy tale view of tech
writing, whereas I had more of a Lemony Snicket outlook.

Amy Smith
GPD Information Development
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
Phone 978.399.5009 | Tie line: 333.5009 | Email: amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com