Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:13:42 -0400

Wow.

I hope the techwr-l community stays. Am not sure of the best approach
though. STC is a better answer than having a tool vendor, for example,
host it ... but I agree, it would have to be open to non-STCers, as
well. Wow.

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:28:15 -0600, Al Geist
<al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

> This may sound good on the surface, but a lot of current TECHWR-L
> members are not members of STC, nor do they want to be members of STC.
> And, some of the most knowledgeable TECHWR-L members are the vehement
> against STC.
>
> Will STC keep the forum open to all writers, or will you be forced to
> join STC. What happens when someone says something bad about STC; will
> the comments be "edited"? Personally, I think that by being
> independent, the Ray's offered a far better forum that any formal
> organization could hope to offer. Unfortunately, Mike's suggestion
> already infers that it will become a STC member driven forum. STC has
> never gotten me a writing gig, or offered me a solution to a writing or
> process problem. Non-STC members on this list have helped me numerous
> times. I would like to see that continue and not see TECHWR-L loose
> it's independence under STC domination.
>
> Methinks that any managment involvement by STC will ruin the
> independence of this fine forum. I could be wrong, but that's my two
> cents.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com