Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:28:15 -0600

This may sound good on the surface, but a lot of current TECHWR-L members are not members of STC, nor do they want to be members of STC. And, some of the most knowledgeable TECHWR-L members are the vehement against STC.
Will STC keep the forum open to all writers, or will you be forced to join STC. What happens when someone says something bad about STC; will the comments be "edited"? Personally, I think that by being independent, the Ray's offered a far better forum that any formal organization could hope to offer. Unfortunately, Mike's suggestion already infers that it will become a STC member driven forum. STC has never gotten me a writing gig, or offered me a solution to a writing or process problem. Non-STC members on this list have helped me numerous times. I would like to see that continue and not see TECHWR-L loose it's independence under STC domination.

Methinks that any managment involvement by STC will ruin the independence of this fine forum. I could be wrong, but that's my two cents.

Mike O. wrote:

Maybe STC would like to take it over.. they are actively looking for
ways to add value, and this list is probably the most valuable single
resource they could add. Sounds like synergy to me, though.

Not sure what the business model of such a transaction would be,
though :-) Maybe STC could create a small group of "charter members"
to sponsor the transfer.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com