Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:44:46 -0600

There are two things going on here--our desire to keep the list service free, open and as neutral as possible and the Ray's desire to get a good return on their investment. On the first subject, I'll say it again....Why should I be forced to join an organization, regardless of how nominal the fee, that has never helped me improve my writing or my writing career? If STC was so good, then how come they never started anything like TECHWR-L long ago? I can only assume it's because TECHWR-L is more than a social club. I can also assume that the most vocal members of this forum, who are often the most knowledgeable and helpful, are not STC members and are not going to join just so they can remain members of TECHWR-L. It's a great forum, but it ain't the only gig in town. On the second subject, the Rays' have put a lot of effort and (I assume) a significant investment in this list service and would like to see that hard work rewarded. As with any business, you can't run it by volunteers because volunteers get tired and move one. A high turnover rate would be as detrimental to TECHWR-L as STC ownership would be. The idea that a group of volunteers, or a PBS style governing board, could run the service and keep it neutral and professional is a bit too collegiate I think. Again, more two cents worth.....

Jones, Donna wrote:

Maybe this gets back to the whole STC reorganization idea. They could offer
a limited membership (with a nominal fee) for people who only want to
participate in something like this list. As undesirable as that may be to
some people, it could be an obvious solution to the problem of how to keep
running this forum and how to add tangible value to the STC.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com