TN-1 Eligibility vs. Legally Allowed to Work?

Subject: TN-1 Eligibility vs. Legally Allowed to Work?
From: "F. Wright" <f_wright -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 13:10:21 -0700

Hello.

I've been folowing this list for a while and have found quite a bit of
useful information. Now it's time for my first post.

I'm a Canadian, eligible for TN status, and looking for work in the US. I
came across a position the other day that I was interested in. The online
application form had a check box for the statement "Are you legally able to
work in the United States?"

On one hand, since I am TN-eligible, I believe that I am once I have a job
offer. On the other hand, at this immediate moment, I am not because I do
not have the job offer in hand.

I'm betting that those people who answer "No" to the question don't get too
far in the initial screening process so I'd like to answer yes, but I also
don't want to be seen by the company (or any other who may ask this) as
lying.

Any thoughts, in general, on answering this question if I come across it in
the future?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling get-togethers. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com