Re: Crispy around the edges

Subject: Re: Crispy around the edges
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:14:24 -0400

jposada -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

Could it be that like to find a related word, the word root (admin) needs to exist? If I do a search on Administration, I get hits for Administrator, Administrative, etc. However, I don't get hits if the root term didn't exist in the first place. Maybe someone with more HTML Help experience knows why or how to change it.

What you are asking about is called stemming. It's an optional setting in Acrobat Catalog (the indexing engine for PDF collections). And other high-price search engines like Google do it just fine. I don't know whether there is one brand or another of HTML help indexing engines that handles it, though. Are there multiple brands to begin with? Or does everyone use the same DLL to implement this? Anyone know? Just asking.

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com