Re: PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac: Convert to PC

Subject: Re: PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac: Convert to PC
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:08:24 -0400

Daniel Fisher wrote:

Hello, all.

I have an old Mac with a treasure trove of product literature on it from
times past. I would like to convert the PageMaker files for use on my PC.
Ideally, I'd be able to convert the source files. If I have to buy some
software to facilitate the conversion, I'd do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this procedure? Your
ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Daniel,

I suggest that, first, you use the Save for Service Provider plug-in on the Mac to pack up all your PageMaker publications. This will collect all the linked files for each publication in a single directory. That way, when you move everything to the PC, you won't have broken links. In the settings for the plug-in, do NOT copy fonts, as there is no point in trying to open Mac fonts on a PC. (The other direction works fine, but Mac to PC doesn't work at all.) You will need to either purchase and install the equivalent PC versions of all the fonts used in your publications or set up permanent font substitutions when you open the publications on the PC.

Second, you need to get either PageMaker or (preferably) InDesign CS (PageMaker version) for the PC. I _believe_ (but you MUST confirm this before purchasing) that InDesign will be able to open your files directly on the PC. You may need to manually add the .pmd extension to your publication files if they come across with no extension. Or you may need to change the extensions to .pmd if they come across with a .p65 extension. However, the .p65 and .pmd file formats are the same, so this is a safe thing to do.

There used to be a strictly enforced rule that you could open cross-platform ONLY in the exact same version of PageMaker, but I believe that the above will work. As I said, you'll need to verify it with Adobe to be sure. You can also ask in comp.graphics.apps.pagemaker, because someone there who has InDesign can probably test it for you.

Good luck.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com