Re: Photo formats in Word

Subject: Re: Photo formats in Word
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:39:59 -0400

D.H.White wrote:

The best way is to capture the shot, save it as a graphics file, and then
modify, manipulate, or just use it in your document. I think you'll find
this gives you better resolution. For one thing, a screen shot directly
dropped into Word is a bitmap file. I don't think you'll have good results
if you go back into your Word doc, copy the screen shot, and then try to
manipulate it using an app such as PhotoShop.

Don,

I think you are overcomplicating it. Screen shots captured with Alt+PrintScreen and pasted directly into Word actually behave quite well. They can be scaled smoothly, cropped, etc.; and they are stored in the document in a fairly compact and efficient format (don't ask me what that format would be called in the real world, because I have no clue). This is not the same as pasting a .bmp file into the document, as far as I can tell.

Going through a graphic manipulation program is just extra work, unless you need to modify the capture somehow (deleting or modifying some text or an icon, perhaps).

Dick

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com