RE: Ethics of job-interview testing

Subject: RE: Ethics of job-interview testing
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:03:08 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: eric.dunn
> Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 12:25 PM
> To: TECHWR-L
> Subject: re: Ethics of job-interview testing
>
> If they get nasty and insistent...

... then you don't want to work there. I wouldn't, anyway.

> ... I now go so
> far as saying if salary adjustments to 'equalize' pay across a salary
> level are part of the annual review, then I insist that I be given
> assurances that the offer is 'above average' for the company.
> Regardless,
> if we are to begin talking about salary, I insist on leaving
> with a full
> understanding of salary review and adjustment procedures and the
> expectations I should have.

Okay, so I guess you're as insistent as they are. Sounds like your
interviews are more confrontational than what I'm used to.

> ... Try and play it like a used car salesman (although it's you
> you're trying
> to sell). If they want to talk prices, they better be
> prepared to sign a
> contract before you leave.

That's not how used car sales work any more, either. Check out the Web for
further details.

But back to the interview: They can ask what you'd like to earn, you can ask
what they're willing to pay, and you can all take a day to think about each
other's numbers.

If everything works out, you might spend _years_ working with these people.
Why start out by playing hardball? Of course, you need to find out if
they're willing to pay you what you want. But if you can't you get that
information without "insisting," then do you really want to work there?

Dan Goldstein

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com