RE: Ethics of job-interview testing

Subject: RE: Ethics of job-interview testing
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:38:58 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 06/02/2004 01:03:08 PM:
> > If they get nasty and insistent...
> ... then you don't want to work there. I wouldn't, anyway.

Perhaps. But I meant it a little tongue-in-cheek. But it depends who
you're interviewing with. Does who you're interviewing with represent the
boss/supervisor or do they represent the bureaucracy of the organisation.

> Okay, so I guess you're as insistent as they are. Sounds like your
> interviews are more confrontational than what I'm used to.

You can be insistent without being confrontational. You can be reasonable
yet still stand up for your rights.

> That's not how used car sales work any more, either. Check
> out the Web for further details.

Only the lame buy new cars at 'fixed' MSRP advertised prices or used at
book value without negotiation. ;)
As for auctions, I personally think only an idiot would buy anything but a
rare collectible without trying it out. As for 'aution direct' sites, well
they're simply figuring no one else can offer the car for a lower price.
I'm really not good a price negotiations, but my brother has negotiated
prices in department stores.

But, I digress ...

> But back to the interview: They can ask what you'd like to
> earn, you can ask
> what they're willing to pay, and you can all take a day to
> think about each other's numbers.

That's why if they move on, you move on. If they are insistent, first find
out why they are insistent (as per my example). Regardless of whether the
discussion moves on or not, you CANNOT discuss pay without knowing
vacation, benefits, insurance, work expectations, etc.

Your pay, benefits, and working conditions SHOULD take some time to hammer
out precisely because you may be working there for years. The deal you
make now will have an effect on you for your entire career at that
company. If you're crazy enough to share this info with future employers
the decisions and deals will continue to influence your career long after
you change employers.

> Why start out by playing hardball? Of course, you need to
> find out if they're willing to pay you what you want. But if you can't
> you get that information without "insisting," then do you really want
> to work there?

As I said, you can be insistent yet polite. I needn't be 'hardball'. I
look at it more as behaving as an equal.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com