RE: Comparing the MS Word normal style on two computers?

Subject: RE: Comparing the MS Word normal style on two computers?
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:32:16 -0700

If the WORD programs are the same version, just swap one normal.dot
out with the other AND use the same printer definition. If the
normal.dot is completely messed up on one or both, delete the file. WORD
will make a spanking new one next time you start the program... or
that's what used to happen. Ummm... save a copy under a different name.

The real trouble with WORD is that styles will shift over time as
normal.dot and other templates greedily suck up hard formatted style
definitions and those from copied text. This is especially bad with the
"standard" set of styles that so many people use and then format and the
formatting gets saved into the style by any of several well-meaning but
mis-guided routes and then copied over and then changes yours and ...

And butts do get bit (thanks for that image Geoff). Even with custom
styles, sometimes things just die or mutate. Bulleted styles loose their
bullets. Text suddenly shifts font or size. Sometimes the only solution
is to replace all the styles in the document with those from one that
still works.

And please don't use the words "leading and kerning" in reference to
WORD! Choke! Any program that when you go to expand or contract text
gives you 1pt as the first default choice....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all the other person is doing is printing the document, send them a
pdf instead.

:-)

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

>>Repeat after me: Word is not a page layout program, it's a word
>>processor with pretensions. <g> A mighty fine word processor, but just

>>a word processor. You can make Word do layout, but it fights you every

>>step of the way and bites your butt as soon as your back is turned.

>>--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca
>>(try geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com if you don't get a reply)

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com