RE: Linguistic quirks: beside or against myself?

Subject: RE: Linguistic quirks: beside or against myself?
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:02:31 -0700

Well, "against" may be oppositional in the US, but my first reaction was
to wonder if I was supposed to sign on top of the printed version of my
name. As in "lean against." My second reaction was to think that was a
really dumb first reaction.

In any event, someone standing in the way with a pen and clipboard in
hand, saying: "Sign in or die" would likely make me look for my name on
the sheet and an convenient blank space next to it to put my jane doe.

Of course this is from someone who can never find the signing space on
the courier slip... and I've used the same courier company for years and
they've used the same... well, you get the picture. The pickup guy has
to put a really BIG X there WHILE I'm watching.

;-))

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com