Re: Linguistic quirks: beside or against myself?

Subject: Re: Linguistic quirks: beside or against myself?
From: shankAtIndiaDotcom <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:10:06 -0700 (PDT)

The problem with next to or beside is, as I said,
that there could be other columns in between. Or,
as in a credit card receipt (check?), one would
sign below or above the name. Be that as it may,
I got the answer to the big question that was
bothering me: why does 'against' sound so right,
so natural, and 'elegant'...

> Or perhaps "against" in this sense might sound
> reasonably natural to an
> American in an accounting context (not sure
> about that, though).

Gotta do with accounts, of course! English in
India got going with the British administrators
and their Indian assistants, so no wonder. There
was the odd charles brown and william jones but
that would take us far afield.

Thanks, all. I am beside myself with
comprehension :-)

=====
Thanks and regards,
Sankara S Rajanala
[also]shank -at- india -dot- com
satyam vada, priyam vada
na satyam a-priyam vada
[speak truth, speak gentle
speak not ungentle truth]

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com