re: Don't know what to title this...

Subject: re: Don't know what to title this...
From: shankAtIndiaDotcom <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:13:51 -0700 (PDT)

> ------------------------
> Geoff Hart wrote:
> My recollection is that this is because the
> Japanese don't have an L sound in their
> language, and neither Japanese nor Chinese uses
> articles. Confirmation or refutation of these
> beliefs gratefully accepted.
> ------------------------

Chinese has no articles, from what I knew while
in singapore; by the way, they call it Singlish!
We say Hinglish (hindi+english). I prefer
In-glish, but that sounds pretty much like
English, don't it? [oh there goes my punctuation
for a toss, or was it plural tense?]

Now R and L being Free Variants is observed in,
in addition to, and in more interesting ways - in
none other than Thailand. Wherein, I am told,
young girls freely discuss erections with
strangers; but then, you realize it is all to do
with takshin sinawatra. Like they are very royal
to the Loyal family! Bottomline is both sounds
exist and they are used at random, methinks.

Much before I learnt about all this, in our
phonetics class, the example for free variants
was the flapping 'd' sound that blurs the
distinction between writer and rider in some
parts of u.s. and canada. Never been there, so
you tell me :-)

=====
Thanks and regards,
Sankara S Rajanala
[also]shank -at- india -dot- com
satyam vada, priyam vada
na satyam a-priyam vada
[speak truth, speak gentle
speak not ungentle truth]

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com