What does $3 a page mean to you?

Subject: What does $3 a page mean to you?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:39:30 -0400

Bonnie Granat wondered: <<Does it mean $3 per manuscript page that you edit? Does it mean $3 per final book page? The publisher for whom I just edited a book quoted "$3 a page" as the rate, and I assumed it was per manuscript page. Now that I'm getting ready to submit my invoice I'm told to "Please take the total manuscript pages and multiply by .75 to get the book pages.">>

Doesn't matter in the least what it means to me. The _only_ important thing is what it means to the client. That's why I always advise editors to get written clarification for _anything_ that's not absolutely clear. In terms of pages, the "standard" page is typically ca. 250 words double-spaced (500 single-spaced), but this varies widely; one of my clients, for example, specifies 200-word pages (a 20 or 25% difference, depending on which way you're converting). If the _book_ pages were 11x17 tabloids, the variation could be more than 100%.

<<I've written to the publisher>>

This is well worth doing. But while you're waiting for a response, do a quick search of the client's Web site to see if there's any information about page lengths. If not, make dated printouts of the pages that describe their basis for costing (so they can't change the pages and claim you simply didn't look at the site), then ask your question again on copyediting-l, phrased as neutrally as possible so you can't be accused of biasing the responses. (That is: "What is the standard definition of a page for work that is billed by the page?" rather than "I think my client is ripping me off... [details]").

If the client isn't prepared to concede your point, you now have evidence in hand should you need to take the case to small claims court. Whether you choose to do so is up to you; you would probably win the case but lose the client.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com