Re: Ooops.... posted my HR humor to the wrong list....

Subject: Re: Ooops.... posted my HR humor to the wrong list....
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:53:09 -0700

Hi Jeff--

Stand by a second for your thumping. I know you must want
it NOW, but I first want to issue a disclaimer:

Disclaimer: I am not speaking for my estimable colleagues
on the Techwr-l list, or the techwr-l owner ,or techwr-l
ettiquette. So don't extrapolate my sentiments to the list
unless it agrees first. I am a little sorry to do this on
list, but I don't want anyone else getting the idea that it
is open season on my personal feelings just because I made a
foray into personal history in order to explain the context
of my response to another post. I'm only going to repulse
this ONE attack.

>Steven:
>It's OK. Your detractors are right - this isn't a place for
a piece like the
>one you wrote. This is a place for people to drone on

I don't drone on. I just get completely off on
misinterpreting what is written on the page and then
responding with whatever comes off the top of my head.

I think you understand how that is, don't you Jeff? Ya
know, the cheap thrill of adrenaline, a chance to show your
inner audience how right-on you are? Doesn't that sound
familiar? It should..

> Sorry you're still shellshocked about your "duck and
cover" drills, but
> comparing this to yelling "Fire" in a theater, etc. is
completely off base

Are "duck and cover drills" something like pulling the
blankets over your head and farting? I guess maybe you're
right, but we call that a "Dutch Oven." Quack?

> If you thought Steven's original post was a legitimate
declaration of
> danger, then I'd love to hear how you came to this
conclusion.

I must have rushed to it. Again, that ought to sound
familiar to you. Are you hyperactive?

Oppenheimer, I'm sorry if your hopes of a humor contest were
dashed. You folded gracefully, that was fine, and I'm not
planning to persecute you further. But I guess I do need to
clarify what I said, so that Rivers can find his way around
it:

I thought Oppenheimer's send-up of bureaucratese was a
tossed-off no-brainer. He was gambling, hoping to get lucky
at humor. Like yelling "Fire" in a theater, just another
unimaginitive way to get a thrill.

Do you love that? I think you do, but why so coy? If you
screw up really bad in an internationally-read newsgroup,
you can always claim that you were just being the devil's
advocate. Not a perfect defense, but it sure beats
apologizing for being in such a hurry to denigrate
thoughtful commentary and mentoring, doesn't it?.

> Also, it is best for you to realize that a public forum
is no place for you
> to decide what should "never" be discussed. Your dinner
table? Absolutely.

Do your drinking at the bar, Rivers. Get your trough and
get out from under my dinner table. .

What is it with you, anyway? Did you join the service
instead of finishing eighth grade? Jeff Rivers, work on
your reading skills!

I didn't tell Oppenheimer not to discuss it. I told him not
to do it. Where on earth can someone with your lack of
skill get work in technical writing? You won't get away with
revising my writing or my meaning, not just to suit your
personal whimsy. Clean out your desk, you're fired. Try
government work.

BTW, just so you know, it is against the law to yell "Fire"
in a theater, unless there is really a fire. That's
probably what you meant, huh?

> "Genuinely suffered"? Do you know what "genuine" and
"suffer" mean?

If I ask politely, will you get your trough and get out from
under my dinner table? And do your drinking at the bar.
Please? I didn't think so.

> Public forums? I'll stop just short of saying that you
should "never do it".

Why stop there? There are plenty of half-assed purveyors of
half-assed abuse on the internet, you'll get even more
attention when you come out and ejoy being just another one
of those guys who teases tied dogs and pulls wings off of
flies.

My advice to you: Carry on virtually wherever you can get a
thrill with so little effort, but clean up your act to
address me and my writing, because the next time you drool
all over me while trying to look over my shoulder, I might
not take it so kindly. This one's free (its an old shirt
anyway), but the next one might cost you my developmental
editor's rate.

On second thought, welcome to my kill file.

Ned Bedinger
Edwordsmith Technical Communications Co.
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
http://www.edwordsmith.com
tel: 360-434-7197
fax: 360-769-7059