Re: Ooops.... posted my HR humor to the wrong list....

Subject: Re: Ooops.... posted my HR humor to the wrong list....
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

First, I rather doubt that Steven would dream of ridiculing the poor individual who passed away or any of the family.

Thinking a bit about this thread, I had a rather strange thought: What if we imagined for the teeniest moment that *we* were in the position of the HR manager who wrote the original memo?

Unfortunately, I didn't retain it. But regarding a reference to a sudden death of a colleague--what terms would *you* suggest to replace "unfortunate incident?"

Many people are so distinctly uncomfortable with the entire subject of death and dying that they react emotionally. That's why the occasional comic's routine on the subject gets such laughs, I think--even when later in the "cold, clear light of day" we read the words and they seem not to be funny at all.

But your assignment, should you be willing to undertake it, is to imagine yourself as a corporate communicator writing a memo for a senior manager, in which you must mention in some way the sudden death of an employee.

How would *you* do it?

After all, it may happen at some point that you are called upon to help in such a circumstance.

David

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com