Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY

Subject: Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY
From: "Nora Merhar" <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:30:37 -0000 (GMT)

Ohhhh-kayyy...

Actually, I wasn't blaming you. Although I DO think it is human nature to
place some blame on the person laid off, just as I think that it is human
nature for the person laid off to blame him/herself. Even if there is no
reason for that. I was living with a laid off UNIX system
administrator/programmer (now employed, thank goodness!) for a year, and I
know from the outside what that's like, though I have not personally
experienced it. In all honesty, I might react as John said HE might react,
at least to some small extent.

> I'm suggesting that if my job is being outsourced, nobody with
> integrity would blame *me.* And if my former company cut its doc
> department to two people, and you blame me for that, you are a
> consummate jerk.

I was actually suggesting that WHILE YOU ARE STILL EMPLOYED and looking
for a job, that you NOT mention the impending outsourcing of your job.
OTOH, if you want to use your current employer as a reference, I suppose
you kind of have to. I've never used my current employer as a reference
(I've used previous employers and people I've worked with). Once you ARE
unemployed, you certainly can be honest about why you were laid off--as I
see it, you should be--without necessarily going into detail or belaboring
the point. Bitterness and anger aren't going to win you friends or a job.

> I'm also suggesting that why my former company chooses to no longer
> need my services is not something I need to hide. Not only do I not
> *need* to hide it, but chances are quite good that a prospective
> employer is going to do a little research and wonder why I would lie
> about such a thing. If I were such an employer, I would wonder about
> the judgment of such an applicant. What else is that person going to
> fudge about?

See above. There is nothing dishonest about what I suggested.

> I was laid off 9/7/01 along with 34 other people. You want to tell me
> it was my fault? If so, you have no integrity. Michele's husband lost
> his job because it was offshored. You want to tell him that he should
> hide that fact and not state it plainly and openly? That's
> contempible.

Michele did already explain in a reasonable way why she feels it is
necessary for her husband to explain why. I don't necessarily agree with
her, but there's room for disagreement. I thought I explained, in a
reasonable way, why it is not necessary to go into detail about why you
are leaving a job. Calling people "consummate jerk" and "contemptible" in
a public (and heavily archived) forum doesn't seem like the best way to
get yourself another job.

Nora
--
Nora
nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com