How do I say I do information mapping without Information Mapping?

Subject: How do I say I do information mapping without Information Mapping?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:36:24 -0700

A successful company quite near where I live (short commute: yay!) just
posted a couple of job openings and the descriptions match my skill set very
well--except that they add a requirement of Information Mapping. I'm looking
for ideas on how to design and write a cover letter that has a good chance
of my getting in the door.

Here's the thing: I look at the official Information Mapping site and the
method described is (a) exactly what I was taught, and (b) what I've been
doing--successfully--for years. It just doesn't have the stamp of those
official capitalized words.

The IM method is described as:

Analysis: Determine the purpose, audience needs, and information types.
needs of your analysis.
Presentation: Format the information to make it clear and accessible to your
audience.

In some ways, I've actually gone beyond these basics, understanding how to
design not just information for audience access, but design product for
audience use.

As an interesting side note, I look at some of the "before" and "after"
samples that they use to demonstrate the IM methods and I find the "after"
to be wordy and visually cluttered.

I know any HR screener is going to be scanning resumes and cover letters for
those "Information Mapping" keywords and tossing any that don't have it on
the "No" pile. I'm looking for approaches that I might take that could
minimize the chance of that happening.

I do know someone, very casually, who last I knew worked for that company,
but I've not seen nor heard from him in some months. I asked about a year
ago if he'd pass on my resume, but he was entirely unenthusiastic about the
prospect, so I am reluctant to ask again.

Advice is appreciated. Happy Friday!

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com