Re: Converting American English to British English

Subject: Re: Converting American English to British English
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:07:25 +1100

ellis -at- cherryleaf -dot- com wrote:
> You should use a British editor because:
>
> 1. Some words (e.g. should) have a different meaning in the UK and the
> States.

Any editor familiar with BrE and Ame usage can deal with
this, British or otherwise. Moreover, it is not the case that
"should" means one thing in the US and another thing in
the UK. There are well-documented usage variants that
are common to both places. Likewise for "shall" and "will".

> 2. Your examples might be meaningless. I once saw a manual that had
> been localised by an american into British English where all the
> examples had people living in Oxford Street and Hyde Park. And don't
> get me started on Kevin "by nightfall we'll be in Nottingham"
> Costner, Dick Van Dyke and the "Friends" episodes in London.

Cultural issues.
--
Michael West