Re: To XML or to UI

Subject: Re: To XML or to UI
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: John Posada <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:17:22 -0500

John Posada wrote:

The thing is..and I appreciate how valuable this UI training would be
for a specific path,

John,

Couple of things:

First, your original post said the opportunity was to attend a "4 day Interaction Design Practicum at Cooper U."

Along the way in this thread, people have asserted that this is a course in GUI design by Robert Cooper. Maybe that's true, but I didn't get that from the quote above. "Interaction design" sounds to me like it is more general and formal than GUI design, although I could be reading more into it than is there. Also, my initial reaction was that Cooper Union had opened an extension branch in California, and that this was not about Robert Cooper. Again, I could be reading more into it than is there. Perhaps you could clarify.

Second, today's Word Tips mailing contained a link to a _great_ article on XML:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dno2k3ta/html/ODC_OFXML_in_Office2003_jrd.asp

This is a really clear Getting Started-type overview that you should definitely read before deciding to take a course in XML. This may be enough in and of itself to start you on a course of self-study without going to school on it.

Dick