RE: To XML or to UI

Subject: RE: To XML or to UI
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:00:14 -0500

"John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com> wrote on 02/19/2004 01:23:45 PM:

> Devise systems for enterprise level management of content? Ubet!

UI design would sure help there.

> XML -> Database -> Single Sourcing

As it would there too.

> UML -> PMP Certification

> While I can see the value of UI, if I knew that UI training could be
> immediately applied against present documentation to the
> degree that XML can, I'd jump for it.

But knowing UI design could certainly be applied immediately to the
documentatio you produce. Or at least to your suggestions and observations
to the designers. It would also undoubtedly give you insight into how to
document round some of the nastier UI problems and possibly understand the
limitations the designers face and why certain trade-offs were made.

> However, with what I want to have
> accomplished by
> the end of the year, I think the XML route will be a more
> direct path.

Only you know that for certain. But I the question that was already raised
is very pertinent. What XML courses are you planning on taking? I've spent
time in class for SGML and XML basics, structure design, and even some
advanced concepts and been bored out of my skull. Now if it was
applications, work flows, and technology classes I would have been far
more interested and it would have been much more worth my (and my
employer's)time. With a real requirement, much of even the complex
SGML/XML stuff is easily self taught.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer