Re: RE: To XML or to UI

Subject: Re: RE: To XML or to UI
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:50:26 -0500

John,
You're a smart guy, but IMO, you've been working as a
contractor for too long and it's made you a little short-
sighted.

Your stated goal is "what I want to accomplish by the end
of the year", which is all well and good -- as far as it
goes. But you're not a contractor any more and the job,
with any luck, will go on for more than a year.

As a smart guy, you can pick up a book and teach yourself
XML -- maybe not as quickly as you could by taking a class,
but you could do it. For that matter, you could pick up a
copy of _The Inmates are Running the Asylum_ and learn what
Cooper has to say about using personas.

What you've been offered -- for reals -- is a 4-day chance
to schmooze/bond with your immediate supervisor; as a
corporate employee, you should jump at the chance. I believe
that, in the long term, going to SF with your boss will be
more valuable to you than learning either UI or XML. You'll
have the opportunity to learn about your boss' goals, wants,
and concerns for your department and the company as a whole.
You will also have the opportunity to share informal time
with your boss and to get to know each other on a personal
level. Forging this relationship could be the most important
thing you do for the whole time you work there -- and you're
being offered the opportunity on a silver platter! How much
better can it get?!?!?!

My two cents -- buy a book on XML and go to SF with your boss.

-Sue Gallagher