Re: Editing .pdfs - to do or not to do is the question

Subject: Re: Editing .pdfs - to do or not to do is the question
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "HSC Italian" <twins398 -at- hotmail -dot- com>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:55:24 -0500

Any editing policy that does not say "the editor marks
up the document and returns it to the author to make
the changes" is a recipe for disaster.

I once worked with an editor on the other side of the
continent who was in a hurry to perform the final
production edit and get a book to the printer. Since there
was a 3-hour time difference, she decided to expedite
matters...

The corporate style guide said not to put stuff you type in
single quotes, so she deleted them. Little did she realize
that the SQL statement the book was instructing the user to
create required those single quotes in order to work. That
was only one of the miriad disasters her ingenuity created.

Making sure that changes made to a pdf are also made to the
source document is tricky enough when one person is making
the changes. Trying to keep the two versions in sync when
two people are making the changes????? You're just looking
for trouble.

My two cents.
-Sue Gallagher