RE: To XML or to UI

Subject: RE: To XML or to UI
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Kat Nagel" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:23:45 -0500

Kat

>training sessions, and you could be on track for
>more interesting assignments and possibly eventual
>direct hire and promotion, if that's what you want.
>Even if you prefer to remain a contractor

Kat...I AM a direct hire on this gig.

The thing is..and I appreciate how valuable this UI training would be
for a specific path, I'm a technical writer and I don't have aspirations
to changing to development or Application User Interface Design. Advance
in technical writing? SURE. Devise systems for enterprise level
management of content? Ubet! However, I see two paths I want to take and
they goes something like this.

XML -> Database -> Single Sourcing
UML -> PMP Certification

While I can see the value of UI, if I knew that UI training could be
immediately applied against present documentation to the degree that XML
can, I'd jump for it. However, with what I want to have accomplished by
the end of the year, I think the XML route will be a more direct path.

Besides, I'm in this for the long haul, there's always next year.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com