RE: To XML or to UI

Subject: RE: To XML or to UI
From: "Cassandra Greer" <cassandra -at- greer -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:00:25 +0100

Hi John!

> The thing is..and I appreciate how valuable this UI training would be
> for a specific path, I'm a technical writer and I don't have aspirations
> to changing to development or Application User Interface Design. Advance
> in technical writing? SURE. Devise systems for enterprise level
> management of content? Ubet! However, I see two paths I want to take and
> they goes something like this.
>
> XML -> Database -> Single Sourcing
> UML -> PMP Certification
>
> While I can see the value of UI, if I knew that UI training could be
> immediately applied against present documentation to the degree that XML
> can, I'd jump for it. However, with what I want to have accomplished by
> the end of the year, I think the XML route will be a more direct path.
>
> Besides, I'm in this for the long haul, there's always next year.
>
> John Posada

Well, then there is the question still of how serious your boss is about
wanting you to go to SF. If it wasn't really a 'I definitely want you to go
with me' type of thing, then I would make it clear to him what your goals
are for the year and why it is good for the company (if you haven't done it
yet). Then he will hopefully see that going to SF won't achieve that. You
are serious about what you want to accomplish and he will respect you for it
(that is if he didn't have other ulterior plans for you?). Maybe he just
wanted you to come with because you seem like a fun type of guy to be around
:))) That does happen too you know ;)

Cass :)