Re: Speed menu vs shortcut menu

Subject: Re: Speed menu vs shortcut menu
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:09:16 -0800 (PST)

As far as I am aware, I have never run into "flying menus" in any of the various disciplines I have studied...which is *not* to say it is an invalid or incorrect term.

Personally, to avoid ambiguity, I'd settle on "right-click menu" and be done with it...*if* the product operates in that fashion on all supported platforms. Obviously, for the button-challenged Mac folk, that would not work.

David

-----Original Message from "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>-----

Kirsty Taylor asked:

>Hi all,

>I've just come across a term in some training that I'm not familiar with=20
and want to check if it's one that's common in >the industry (or in the=20
industry in the US). The training's in Business Objects and they refer to=
'speed menus'. This >is for the menu you get when you right click on a=20
screen. Normally I'd call that a shortcut menu.

Generally, I have heard these referred to (across multiple disciplines) as
"flying menus," which has been a more apt description and therefore more
readily accepted by the audiences to which they were presented.
Respectfully,

Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor
Technical Information Systems