Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!

Subject: Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!
From: Shankar <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:17:25 -0800 (PST)

> > UK: The book which you took yesterday.
> >
> > Am: The book that you took yesterday.
> > _____
> >
> > Both are correct (but for different
> audiences).
>
> I had a professor who made us go through our
> papers after they
> were complete and do a search on the word
> "that".

the prof was right in a way; but transformational
grammar tells us that there is an 'underlying'
that or which (both of which are equally valid in
both Br E and Am E in these examples), thus the
sentence is ok. [That is, you mentally add a that
or which while 'decoding' the sentence.]

However international audience would find it
easier it that (or which) is spelled out. Look at
this:

The book about which we talked yesterday and all
of the week before that and tried to understand
is going to be made into a movie, it appears.
[now try your which hunt?]

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools