Re: Ellipses

Subject: Re: Ellipses
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:38:21 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

I would definitely omit the surrounding spaces when using the actual ellipsis character.

Really? In every font, in every application?

Fair enough. So, I just examined the ellipsis in all 62 fonts on my computer that include an ellipsis character. I found a few fonts that looked like they *could* accept a space after the ellipsis. It would have to be a condensed space, though--a regular space would be way too wide. Those were:

Curlz MT
Edwardian Script
Franklin Gothic Medium Cond
Impact
Kirsten ITC

I don't think I've ever used *any* of those fonts in a document. On the other hand, I found *lots* of fonts that needed a little extra space *before* the ellipsis.

So my *new* advice is:

Life is short!
Just type three periods, so you can go home and play with your kids.

:)

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.