Ellipses

Subject: Ellipses
From: Zola <zola -at- zolaweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:42:13 -0500

I don't want to stray too far out of the realm of the list, so feel free to mail me privately if you know the answer, but there is an ellipse question that has been bugging me.

You can use ellipses to show a sentence that trails off or has a pause, such as:

As for the grammatical rule, I don't know...maybe we can find a reference book for it in the library.

But what if you are quoting, and the trailing off is a question?

He then said, "What the hell...?"

Is that the correct form, or is there a space in between the ellipse and question mark? I have looked this up in a number of punctuation/grammar references but can't find it. Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Zola

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. We're going to try to take over the world!!" ---Pinky and the Brain

Visit me at <www.zolaweb.com>!

ICQ#2048151