EM/EN nightmare cont'd. <pc to Mac>?

Subject: EM/EN nightmare cont'd. <pc to Mac>?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:52:17 -0500

Dan Gallagher wrote that as a result of a font mismatch: <<One of the books got printed 500 times with a voltage table full of enyays where a minus sign should be.>>

Not to criticize, but this is why I'm such a strong advocate of proofing documents in the final medium (paper vs. online, Mac online vs. PC online, Internet Explorer vs. Netscape, etc.). There are seemingly infinite ways you can get bit by such problems, and the solution is always the same: proofread that final output. That's why "proof" is part of the word "proofreading": without that proof, you're working on circumstantial evidence.

I learned this lesson the hard way several years ago when we sent a PC PageMaker file to a service bureau that was also running Macs, and that ignored our request to output film from a PC. Output looked great direct from our PC, so it would have been reasonable to assume that it would look great on film. Yet many of the characters (French accents and upper-ASCII characters) got mangled as a result, and if we hadn't requested film proofs to check, we'd have had a very embarassing situation to correct, probably at our own expense.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca