Re: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"

Subject: Re: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"
From: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:43:21 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
>"Rachael Lininger" wrote ...

>> I need to write a report on war dialing and I'm not sure what to call it.
>>
>> War dialing (however you spell it) is the ritual of calling all
>> the phone numbers in an exchange to see which answer with a modem. It's good
>> for either cracking into a network or for seeing if your network is properly
>> defended -- random modems are usually much easier to get into than a
>> company's firewall.

>Actually, that's not true. Most company's firewalls are very easy to get
>through. They're also easier to brute-force attack. Modems on the other hand
>are harder to find and take much longer to brute-force attack. Firewalls are
>therefore a considerably more important aspect of an organization's security as
>they experience more security incidents then modem pools. Wardialing, while
>interesting, rarely yields results.

Correction noted. The context I'm used to is pretty high-security; I should
have remembered and written accordingly. For most companies, wardialing
should be really far down on the list of Secure Things to Do.

I think I will go with one word (wardialing, to wardial, etc.) because...because.
The SANS papers are split on the matter, and compound nouns tend to end up
as one word anyway.

Rachael