RE: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"

Subject: RE: Style question: "war dial" vs. "wardial" vs. "war-dial"
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:27:50 -0800 (PST)

--------------------------
Bill Greve wrote:
I think this is one of those words whose usage is morphing. You'll be
able to find authoritative sources for either. So as usually the case,
pick one and be consistent. War dial" is probably more book correct;
however, if I had to guess, I'd suggest that "wardial" will become more
popular than "war dial." One, owing to its roots in "Wargame;" and two,
the popularity of warchalking and wardriving (which are less frequently
written as "war chalk" and "war drive.")

There is a linguistic tendency for concepts that are expressed with two or more words to sort of merge into a single word, spelling include. It would seem like words like "whenever," "whatever," and "nevertheless" were once "when ever," "what ever," and "never the less," but i'm not so sure on the history of these. So, with a lack of an authoritative source, I'd go with linguistic tendency and write it as one word and then, and here's the key, be consistent. :-)

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com