Re: Question about Word 2000

Subject: Re: Question about Word 2000
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Guy <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:44:02 -0500

Guy wrote:

I've been using FrameMaker for 11 years or so, and I'm very comfortable with it. But I'm a rank rookie with Word.

My wife produces a newsletter. She asks me to convert it to PDF, because I have full Acrobat on my system.

She is running Word2000 on Windows 2000; I am running it on Windows 98.

A page that she formats carefully on her system sometimes runs longer on my system, so it spills to the next sheet

Guy,

FrameMaker is a page layout program. Word is a word processing program. Different design philosophy.

In Word and some other word processing program, the software first detects what your default printer and looks up the printable area for that printer before setting the page breaks. It's perverse, I know; but that's just the reality Word users have to be aware of.

To avoid the problem, both of your computers need to be pointing to the same default printer, and it has to be a PostScript printer. Download the AdobePS driver installer and run it on both machines. Specify some convenient color PostScript printer as the device on port "FILE:" and make that the default printer on both machines. (Distiller would be the best choice, but your wife isn't licensed to install it.) This is a bit inconvenient, because when you print from any application, you'll have to select a different printer rather than accepting the default, but it's not a big deal once you get used to it.

When you want to make the PDF, print to the default printer (creating a .PS or .PRN file--either works, as long as it's a PostScript printer). Drag that file onto Distiller to make the PDF. Or your wife can print to file and give you the output file to distill.

This method does not work the same as the PDFMaker macro, in that it doesn't preserve hyperlinks or bookmarks. I hope the newsletter doesn't rely heavily on them. If there are only a few, you can easily add them manually in Acrobat.

HTH,

Dick