Re: doc release

Subject: Re: doc release
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:21:05 -0800 (PST)

> when do you make the last changes to the
> documentation? Take into account
> that there is not code freeze where I work. When do
> you say no more changes
> to be done?

What's a code freeze? Is that some kind of mythical
beast like the manticore or the jobsecurity?

I've never worked anywhere at which I *could* say "no
more." Every place I've ever worked, I've been
required to document any changes the
developers/engineers make, and they were free to make
any changes they wanted right up to the very last day.
I've worked on projects where I had to change screen
caps and all the writeups that went with them, both in
the online help and in the printed docs, on the very
same day that the final build was supposed to be done.
More than once I've been in a situation where the
build is supposed to be started 8 AM, and I had to
work the entire night before and didn't finish posting
my changes until 7:30 AM.