RE: Online help and the elimination of the printed doc

Subject: RE: Online help and the elimination of the printed doc
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:13:59 -0500

Dan,

It's quite possible to do what you're proposing, but it takes a while, and
probably should be done in stages. The main caveat I would suggest is that
you prepare internal staff and your user base that this is going to happen.

When I came to this company, our desktop applications had no on-line help,
and reams of paper doc that were not particularly helpful. We were doing an
overhaul of one of the applications, from windows to web, so we introduced a
thoroughly indexed on-line help system containing conceptual, procedural and
reference topics. I made extensive use of graphics and screenshots, but
incorporated screens as popups and dynamic dropdowns, which allowed novices
to orient themselves, without wasting screen space for more advanced users.

We also produced a "transition guide" to help the novice get used to working
with new terminology, symbols/icons, and new locations for functionality in
the web version, and a user guide, simply because they'd always had one.
Trainers made sure users knew there was a on-line help system, and I stopped
producing a print user guide for that application two years ago. Print
documentation consists of release notes, installation instructions and
system administration instructions. Went from 600 pages in a user guide to
an average of 12 for release notes, and about 20 for installation and
administration.

Contact me off-line if you want more background on the project.

Regards

Connie